Friday, July 6, 2012

The Recovery Room


With all the (negative) press Planned Parenthood has received recently, especially in light of the 2012 Obamacare initiative, it could be ironic that I chose to start volunteering at my local PPH clinic this summer. Or, if you know me... that may have been one of the reasons I started volunteering in the first place.

Needless to say, yesterday was my first, independent day working at the center and, boy, was it a ride.

This summer, and potentially throughout the upcoming school semester, I will volunteer 5 hours a week at the Rochester-Syracuse Regional center (PPRSR) on Thursdays. Given the Fourth of July was on a Wednesday this year, and Wednesday is typically "abortion day," I had the overwhelming first-day experience of volunteering in the recovery room yesterday.  Without going into confidential details, it was one of the most unique work-related experiences I have ever had. It was also one of the most emotional. Containing my own rapidly flowing thoughts and feelings was difficult in front of all different kinds of women receiving surgical abortions. Contrary to political framing, there was not one type of woman going in for a surgery, but I met individuals of all backgrounds, all stages of life, and all different personal reactions to the momentous decision.

Let me begin by sharing my own personal standing, because I actually find that important to share when discussing anything related to "standing with planned parenthood." I am pro-life. Truly.  I don't like saying that is my "political" viewpoint, but unfortunately, society has made this issue a tug-of-war-political game too. Personally, I could never get an abortion. But, like many things .. I say that without actually knowing anything at all.  Although my personal position is what political gamemakers like to call "pro-life," I am also "pro-choice" because like most political spectra, I don't like people telling me what to do. I have always been a stubborn, obstinate kind of girl. I have a feeling that I don't like people telling me what to do because I am confident in my own mature decision-making. I feel secure and intelligent about the choices I make. However, that is not to say all people make smart choices. That's evident by the dumb-dumbs in society. How many DUIs, Dropouts, and bad body art are out there? Must I even ask?

That being said, the reason I "stand with planned parenthood," among other reasons I am volunteering this summer (namely to assist with my senior capstone-thesis project related to reproductive health), is because no matter how many dumb-dumbs are out there, I find it a phenomenal feat that women of my country actually have a right and an option regarding their reproductive health. In fact, even though many people see PPH as an "abortion house," that isn't the service they concentrate on most.  Mostly, PPH focuses on getting certain populations of people healthcare who wouldn't normally have access. They educate and test to prevent the spread of sexually transmitted infections. They assist individuals in getting contraceptive devices so that women won't need to visit the center on surgery day. The point of the clinic is to provide literature and information so people, who are going to make decisions regardless -- good or bad, have the resources made available to them. Like in a classroom where you can choose to ask the teacher for extra help if you need it to improve your own grade, PPH simply provides the educator. If people are still going to make bad choices, even when resources are obviously out there are their disposal, well... human beings will be human beings.



Yesterday was definitely an overwhelming, heart-racing experience, but I know I am going to learn a lot. If anything, I am going to learn the most about myself from this volunteering experience. I think that's what makes the donation of your time that much more valuable. We'll see how the whole gig pans out; being uncomfortable while learning is what makes learning enjoyable though. If you already "know everything," what's the point in being taught something new?

No comments:

Post a Comment