Sunday, September 4, 2011

Market Madness: KR Circle

 KR Circle Center
Not what your typical shopping plaza looks like in the U.S.


A small group of us traveled into Mysore and explored one of the popular shopping areas: KR Circle. When I envision 'shopping area,' I think of a strip of well-built and well-maintained stores with plenty of parking and shopping carts floating about. But, I am in India, after all. So what I thought was nothing like reality.


Really, KR Circle was a mismatch of old shops and small market vendors; many of the market vendors were selling items in preparation for Ganesha Festival happening later in the week. It really was a bustling place. I never feel like my pictures of crowds give my experiences in them justice (and I've taken a liking to video recording my visits) so below is a short video of a brief walk through the market place. It spins a bit quickly toward the end, so I hope you took your Dramamine...
(I'm not funny, though I try to be)



 It amazes me how people can sit like this, all day, and sell what little they have. Honestly, the work ethic of the people here continues to astonish me. Though my shopping experiences are entirely different from what other students studying abroad go through (and from what I experience at home for that matter) a short trip into Mysore is always a fun (and hectic) time.

No comments:

Post a Comment