Sunday, September 4, 2011

Oh... we're celebrating the elephant-headed God

Ganesha Chaturthi, also known as Vinayaka Chaturthi, is the Hindu festival of Lord Ganesha. Ganesha, the son of Shiva and Parvati, is celebrated as the god of wisdom, prosperity and good fortune. A festival in his honors lasts for 10 days during the month of Bhaadrapada (this year, Ganesha Festival began on September 1st). Honestly, after experiencing the festivities for myself, I can see why Ganesha is one of the most popular festivals (with some of the best traditions) all across India. I hope the photos help!

 Ganesha in the morning - this one was set up in the kitchen of our hostel
We were also served Karjikai that morning (it is a traditional sweet dish filled with coconut)

 Getting ready for the ceremony in the V-LEAD foyer; everything was so nicely decorated

 Transport of Lord Ganesha

Time for Puja

 Ganesha associates with the color red, so here the priest conducting the Puja is decorating him with red Sandalwood paste

 The Puja can be simple (one performed with family members within the household) or an elaborate one, involving a priest who would come and perform the puja. From what I gathered by watching, several offerings (including coconut, various waters and honeys, flowers, money, fruits, etc.) were made to Lord Ganesha. Additionally, the priest recited a mantra called "Om Gung Ganapathaye Namah"
Everything done was done with such purpose
 The offering plate
Additionally, people place their hands over the fire and carry the heat to their heads (for knowledge) and back down into their prayer position. That is what I did to honor the God - it seemed most appropriate

  
Lord Ganesha, when all was said and done
Pretty well dressed, I'd say

 The Puja offering made to us from Lord Ganesha
It was delicious ((ly)-spicy!)

He likes his Puja too!


Ganesha's in Hebbal & Mysore
Yes - I did end up buying a small one for myself
I don't know how it will fare in my suitcase home..

 Big or Small; Plaster or Sandalwood
Ganesha's Everywhere!

 A roadside shrine set up in Mysore

 The Ganesha set up in Professor Ramesh's house
(here we also got to meet his family -
p.s. his wife makes the best Pak!)

  The Ganesha set up in Dr. Jaysheree's house
She invited us over to her house to celebrate after giving us a lecture on Indian Festivals in our Health and Environment class

We were also invited (and ended up attending) a family friend of her's house.  They came by to celebrate with Dr. Jaysheree and her family, and then invited us over to their house.  What continues to be a theme? The CONSTANT hospitality and welcome we receive from Indian families. Truly, people here are so kind! This family (strangers to us) simply wanted us to also celebrate with them.. and literally did not stop asking until we were standing in their house.


Success! - after this woman finally helped get the bangles offered to me over my fat hands/wrist
...and I thought I had 'noodle wrists' (as my dad would say)
Compared to Indian women, I am a giant

Honestly, incredible festival experiences. I met new people, visited the inside of three Indian family homes, and ate way too much food... but after all, I was honoring a god, so it's ok :)

No comments:

Post a Comment