Monday, October 31, 2011

Traveling Around India: Update Part Two

So, here I am again, in an over-priced Internet Cafe. This time, in Jaipur, Rajasthan though. Here's a bit of an update on what I have been up to (again, pictures can say 1,000 words)

Leaving Rishikesh was actually quite difficult. Not, challenging per say, but it was hard to say goodbye to such a safe and beautiful place. Not to mention, the idea of heading back to Delhi was less than delightful. Nevertheless, I hopped on a bus from Haridwar and headed back to the great capital city.

 Really, back in Delhi, I was just being a tourist.
India Gate, New Delhi

I also went to Wengers Bakery in Connaught Place. It was a tad expensive, but the pizza and peach cobbler made up for the last sleepless night I spent in the same city. It was also nice to pass the day away on the Central Park lawn (although not nearly as beautiful as the Central Park in NYC, in my opinion). I also experienced the cram-as-many-people-as-you-can into the New Delhi Metro Car.  Although you quickly become claustrophobic (and I am sure my lack of a shower in many days definitely offended some clean and well-dressed city girls), the Delhi metro is relatively easy to navigate, and is an inexpensive way of getting around the city.

That night, I hopped on a sleeper bus (YES, a sleeper bus - much less comfortable and much more joslte-y than a sleeper train) to Jaipur. I headed to Rajasthan a) because it is majestic in its own right and b) because I would be WWOOFing there for a week. WWOOF is an acronym for "Willing Workers on Organic Farms" (but, I have also heard it, "World Wide Organization of Organic Farms"). Although I have never done a day of farm work in my life (heck, I avoid lawn work at all costs...) I was eager to see what it was all about. I had been interested in doing a WWOOF project for a while; also, since over half of India's economy/workers are in the Agricultural Sector, it seemed necessary for me to live/work on a farm to complete my own picture of India. In fact, when you WWOOF, that is exactly what you do. The whole point is that it is a barter/exchange system of sorts. You work during the day for food/shelter. My trip to Jaipur wasn't exactly comfortable, but I really think the US should get some sleeper buses because the whole thing was quite the experience.
 OH, right - I was a tourist in Jaipur too...
...but I mean come on, it was one of the first things I saw when I got off the bus.

When I arrived at the farm, I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into. I didn't know what the work was going to be like, or if there was anyone else there. In fact, I had trouble even getting to the farm because the directions were a bit basic, and I was being A LOT paranoid. After a 3km hike, I finally reached the farm - in the middle of literally no where. Not North Weare (No Where) but ACTUALLY hidden in the most rural landscape. Positive first impression: it will be quiet. Other first impression: why am I spending my "vacation time" on a farm?

 The whole landscape was pretty impressive though...

So, when I arrived I was actually greeted by ANOTHER Sarah. Yes, a Sarah from Switzerland. She had been on the farm just a few days, but helped get me situated rather quickly. I was taken to my room, which I learned to enjoy after a few nights... but the first sight of it nearly brought me to tears. Not because it was less than adequate; it was just a cot, with a dirty blanket, one light bulb (which sometimes worked when there was electricity), a straw-thatched roof, and a dirt floor. OH - and did I mention the mice, cockroaches, and spiders that also lived in the room (and would stay with me for the whole week I was there?)...
As I said, I learned to like it (enough) after a few days, but it was not high class accommodations -  not that I needed them or really expected them.

 The view from the window was nice though
ALSO -  this picture is of the bean field I cut down. Yes. Me, cutting beans...

The days were actually structured quite nicely. We were up at 7, helped with breakfast, worked from 8-noon, helped with lunch and took rest until 3, worked from 3-5, helped with dinner and ate and relaxed until bed (which, after a long day in the fields, you really wanted bed by 9pm...).  SOME of the work really was the hardest, most physically challenging, and tedious work I have ever done in my life. Really. I don't want to complain, because I signed up for it, but it was hard. Cutting down tall bean stalks in 80-90 degree temperatures is no easy task. BUT, that being said, we did get to rest during the hottest part of the day (which I think is intentional on part of the farm) AND the work was fair. 

I also learned a lot about cooking (spices, organic foods, how to make chipatis and paranthas - get ready for Indian food if you want it....) so that was an added bonus. It was also nice to spend the days on the farm with Sarah. She has been traveling independently for over one year - in Hawaii and throughout Asia. She had some incredible stories and truly gave me a lot of confidence to continue traveling independently. We were also joined by David (from Germany) later in the week. How often would I get to hang out with International kids on a farm? Not much - it was a good time.

Some other farm highlights:
1) Suresh - the crazy volunteer manager; you'll have to ask me about him if you want stories.
2) the bike rides into town with Sarah
3) the Rajasthanian Sunsets... unbelievable
4) the Hindi Comedies on television after dinner
5) the cockroaches in my food --- ok, that one isn't really a highlight, but more of an unfortunate recollection
Overall, it was a good time. A time I don't think I need to repeat again, but a good enough time for sure. Definitely: a learning experience, which is exactly what I wanted.
 Sunset from the fields

Sarah, David and I decided to all head into Jaipur together. A hotel would be cheaper with three... and I think all of us wanted some company venturing back into a city. We explored some of the famous Jaipur bazaars together and had dinner at this really incredibly busy place called Thali House - there was an unlimited plate of Indian cuisine for just Rs. 70 ($1.50) - it actually became overwhelming to have so much food on your plate at one time. It was great to walk around the city with them - in fact, just meet them and spend time with them.

 A view of Jaipur from a local hang out spot 
The famous Tiger Fort somewhere hidden in the hills

  
Sarah (Switzerland) and David (Germany)
Really.. such great people


So.. now I am hanging out in Jaipur for the day. Sarah and David are off to Puskar for the world famous camel festival. I will soon be in Goa, and probably reunited with 80% of our group from Mysore. And in less than a week, I will be back in Mysore... it's crazy how time flies. At the same time, traveling this consistently is tiresome. It can be frustrating. It can be lonely... and it can be overwhelming. I am having some incredible adventures though, and will have so many stories to share. I am safe and doing well though, so that is always what is most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment