Friday, August 26, 2011

Bright Eyes with an Empty Smile; The Indian Paradox

There is so much beauty around me all the time. The colors are vibrant. The food is spicy. The religion is integrated into every aspect of people's lives. The horns from the cars and bikes even seem to carry a stimulating flare. The chants and songs and dance routines all incorporate a magical and romantic energy. There are things that are peaceful, loud, calm and bright. Bright eyes.

Then, there is so much poverty that seeing the way some people live makes me so incredibly sad. Not just sad - I've had a tough day away from home, but sad. Gut-wrenching, tear-jerking - sad. On the same street that you might see gorgeous temples, beautifully sewn Saris, and those bright eyes from a child, (or a young mother, or the older street vendor) I see flies buzzing around piles and piles of garbage. I see animals defecating in the middle of a beaten up road. I see bone-thin, stray dogs running around in search for a full meal. More so, I see empty smiles on the faces of Indian people who look at me and just see a white girl smiling back at them.

What else do they have to think about me? I am a privileged American who walks around dumbfounded by how 'cheap' things are here. What? - this cereal, juice, toothpaste, AND shampoo only cost me Rs. 285?! (that translates to about $6.15) Incredible! Little do I acknowledge, in the midst of my celebration, that 75% of Indians live on less than Rs. 20 a day... or, when I push aside my Rice Curds (which are far less than kind of appetizing) that 74% of children and women suffer from iron deficiency/anemia... or, when I wake up and grab my sore back to rub away the stiffness from my full-night's sleep when 26% of India's population lives in recognized slums (recognized meaning the government here acknowledges them). Legitimately, slums: one-on-top-of-another, poop-covered, disease ridden shanti "houses."

I am not naive. I know poverty exists. I understand how fortunate I am. I realize how comfortable my life has been. And I knew what I was getting myself into when I decided to come to India...
I consider myself to be a compassionate and empathetic person. I enjoy giving back to others. I'd like to think I have a big heart. But my heart is feeling really swollen.
It gets exhausting sitting in class everyday being told the harsh realities of India's current situation. To hear how big corporations have taken away India's tradition of small farming to provide food locally. Or how the WTO (something the United States has a huge hand in controlling) prohibits the Indian government from subsidizing any export because developed countries need to import so many of their raw materials. Or even how traditional means of water security or food security or education systems have been changed by colonialism (EVEN THOUGH THEY WORKED for thousands of years) because they were too "primitive" to the white man. India has been thrown into an over-developed, over-urbanized, water and food-scare "developing nation." And yet, in light of all the travesty, the people here are able to preserve some of the most incredible religious stories and lessons, dress better (collectively) than Americans do on any day of the week, and the children here carry the brightest glimmer of hope I have ever seen reflected in a human being's eyes.

Welcome to India, and it has only been week two.

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about how to comment on this, but all I can say is "keep thinking...keep struggling with these social justice issues...keep being a compassionate, wonderful young woman!"

    First day of school here. :o) I love you Sarie!

    ReplyDelete