Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Bumpy Road

This is an exert taken nearly verbatim from my travel journal. Location: back of an Indian Rickshaw;

"The most frustrating experience so far has occurred (I say 'frustrating' as if it was the end of the world I had gone through...) I am writing this from the backseat of a Rickshaw. Alone. I am by myself somewhere in the middle of Mysore and I am relying on the good graces of my Rickshaw driver to get me where I need to go, safely.

"Earlier this week, I realized my computer charger broke - and I am in need of a replacement (so, so silly to be in 'need' of a computer, especially given everything I have learned about how people can sustain life simply the past few weeks). Nevertheless, I need one to communicate and (most of all) do my homework. Anyways, I called Dell Support Center, assuming my computer was under warranty, to get a new charger - no problems. WRONG. My computer is only covered by the warranty in the United States, since I purchased it there. So, I needed to buy a new charger. Ok - no worries. But, they couldn't take my TD Bank Debit Card (even though it is a VISA?!) so I, instead, needed to travel into Mysore to go to a particular bank to deposit my rupies. Ok - just one bump in my road. So that brings us to now, traveling in my Rickshaw in the middle of bustling Mysore.

"When I spoke with the Dell representative on the phone, he told me the particular account number I would need to deposit my money into. So, naturally, I wrote it down and double checked it with him 5 times over the phone. When I got to the bank, I THOUGHT I had the 1) money, the 2) information and the 3)confidence I needed to make my deposit. I did not. The account number was 7 digits short. And the bank had no internet for me to even try to look any information up. Great. Bump #2.

"I was fighting back the tears as I left the bank, empty handed. The Rickshaw driver was in the process of taking me back to the hostel when I decided to quickly inquire: 'are there any internet/cyber cafes, near?' I figured I would go, log onto my email, and PRAY that the dell service representative sent me a confirmation email of sorts with the account information contained within it. For Rs. 10 and a bit of searching (until we came across this kind of sketchy internet-cafe), I was able to access my email and retrieve the correct account information. By the way, I copied down a completely (and I mean completely) different account number from what I had been told at that cafe.

"Then the driver took me back to the bank. I would not have been this persistent (and I am already/currently late to Hindi class) but tomorrow and Thursday are Indian religious holidays (Ganesha Festival) and everything is closed, including this particular bank. And I was never going to make it back before it closes for the day at 4:00 pm to make my transaction. Dell needed the money (obviously) AND a scanned version of my receipt before they could/would even mail my charger. And then actually receiving the charger through the mail would be another journey in and of itself. I got a little slip of paper that I will try to email to that (not very) competent Dell employee (actually - I just didn't understand him.. and shame on me for expecting perfect English) and we will see come 4-5 days. Bump #3.

"This is what misinformation/bad communication in India will get you. I would love to point fingers and say 'he gave me the wrong account information,' or what-have-you... but this is the way things go sometimes. Some days you need to have your independent melt-downs in the back of a bumpy Rickshaw (which I did). OR (maybe?) question why you didn't double/triple/quadruple check the information yourself? Perhaps, before leaving...  Rohit - the man with the thick accent from India did what he was supposed to, in a sense. OR, maybe, just simply appreciate the good (and very patient) nature of this Rickshaw driver who has been pleasant and cooperative navigating me around Mysore, only trying to help.  And to think: all for a computer charger. How silly?

"Oh, the things we ask from life. I have learned the best thing you can do is just roll with the punches - or the uneven, bumpy Indian roads, especially. I hope my Hindi teacher rolls with the punches when I enter class 15 minutes late...

"His name is Raju, by the way. The Rickshaw driver. He told me what it was after I got out of the auto. He insisted the trip was not that big of a deal, though I kept showing appreciation and even paid him an additional Rs. 50 for the fare. The last thing he said to me was, 'enjoy the rest of your stay in India.' That is a good last though. Because, after all, this was only ONE bumpy road... "

No comments:

Post a Comment