Saturday, August 20, 2011

Jungle Love: "it's drivin' me mad, it's makin' me crazy"

Today, my group went on a field trip for my Environment and Health class. Many of the classes I am taking this semester emphasize 'field' learning, so we have several small trips planned throughout the fall in order to take advantage of local sites. Today, we traveled (nearly 120km) to get to the Jungle via both Bandipur National Park (in south-south-east Karnataka) and Mudumalai National Park (in north-north-west Tamil Nadu).

A cheesey Wikipedia map picture to put the forests into visual perspective

In this Environment and Health class, we have been discussing the wonderful diversity of the flora and fauna in India. This little trip helped us experience some of the wildlife being preserved in National Forest Parks.  It was actually amazing to even make it to the outskirts of the forests because the air quality changed for the better so dramatically.  Everything was so lush and green and the new sights made me re-evaluate a lot of the India I was living in and had seen for the previous 10 days.

A picture I took looking out the window on the way to Bandipur
Everything is so picturesque here

As soon as we got out of the van, there was so much to see. One of my favorite signs (perhaps of all time) was this wall of "Eco-Commandments" It was actually hilarious.


As we were waiting for our eco-tour (this was at Mudumalai National Park as part of their Tiger Reservation Tour) we hung out in this little gondola, which actually was the village bus-stop for all of the local school children! It was very exciting to be able to see/hang out with kids. I loved it. They speak Tamil, because at this point we were in the state of Tamil Nadu, so it was difficult to communicate with them. But, combining the English they did speak with charades, we were able to meet one another. 

Sindhu, our school care-taker, told me something really interesting yesterday.  She said, people tend to notice the really extreme differences in people. Especially the physical differences (which explains the staring - on my part and their part). However, what can be really special, and usually most memorable, is when you begin to find subtle similarities cross cultures. She encouraged me to do this, because it is only then when people begin opening up and become interested in sharing something about themselves.

So, that is exactly what I did with this group of kids! A group of girls quickly circled around me and I tried to get to know them. You know, "what is your name?" "how old are you?" and "do you like school?" I tried saying their names back to them, and realized I was completely butchering each attempt because of the gigglish response. I noticed that all the girls were wearing in earings and bracelets. I was also wearing a pair of earings and had a bracelet on. I showed them and let them touch my jewelry, and then they became eager to show me what they had on. I commented on how beautiful their braids were, and then they reached out to touch my hair. I asked the girls if they liked to sing. They pointed to one of the older girls (she must have really liked to when they were all in a group together). I asked her if she would sing me a song, but she seemed really hesitant. I told the group, if she/they sang me a song, I would sing them something. All of a sudden she started singing such a beautiful song. I was captivated. So, to comply with our deal, I started to sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, something I thought was so silly (and such a cop-out). Much to my surprise, they joined in!! It was such an incredible moment for me.

They loved having their pictures taken
They liked seeing their face on YOUR camera even more
One of the girls in my group, Kate, had a journal with her
She let all the kids sign their names
They loved that too


 It's a little tough to see, but this is me with all of my new friends

This is the entire group of girls I was talking with
They range from 12-17 years old
Simply beautiful people

Oh right, we went to a National Park... to visit a jungle. I got a little side-tracked.
 Monkeys just started appearing from every which direction
Although this one isn't the best quality I got...
...look how cute :)

 Another species of monkey sitting up in a tree
I think it is called a Langur Monkey

 The forests were really dense and beautiful

 RIGHT?! You've never seen one of these before...
I just think they are beautiful, even in India

 A more long-distance shot of the National Park we were in today
It's really beautiful how the clouds set on top of the tree coverage

So although we did not see any wild elephants, or tigers, or jaguars, or really anything spectacular, I thought I would share a picture of what we did see a lot of: deer. But not any deer, these were Indian deer, so it was cool nonetheless.

I am really excited for all of the other field trips we have planned with our classes. Taking this trip confirms how incredibly diverse of a place India is. Major cities AND National Parks. It was a good way to spend my second weekend in India.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I am so excited to read all of your posts. You are having some amazing experiences, and living vicariously through them is wonderful for me.

    True to form, you found ways to communicate with kids; what a surprise (NOT!) that music was a way "in" for you with the children.

    I am proud of you. Love, Aunt Trish

    ReplyDelete