Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mysore the Magnificent

Today we toured the city of Mysore (that is the city I am staying in)

As a part of our program, they set up a nice cultural sampling of Mysore to enjoy.  In other words, we looked like goofy Americans, dressed up in our traditional Indian garb, with our cameras out.  I loved it.

After breakfast, we left for Chamundi Hill.  At the top of this (relatively) high hill, that over looks the city of Mysore, there is a beautiful temple dedicated to Parvathi (the consort to Lord Shiva: the God of Destruction).  I know, it's a lot to take in. It's been a lot for me too. Anyway, the temple was gorgeous, and I learned that people from all over make the pilgrimage to Chamundi Hill to worship Parvathi's noble acts of saving the city of Mysore.  At the top of the hill people were being very spiritual. It was so beautiful. Also, the line to get into the temple was extremely long; we didn't go in, but I definitely got a feel for how much it meant to these people to be there.
The line for Shri Chamundeswari Temple


I was also stopped all the time. Although I know it is a part of being a white tourist, but I really wish I wasn't bombarded (so frequently) with the request to buy silly mementos by locals. I truly am there to learn, and it does get frustrating to always be the easy target. I am also, much more so than some in my group, easier to stop and ask.
A view of the temple

A view of Mysore from the top of Chamundi Hill

Next, we went to Somanathapur, which is a very religious temple in Mysore that honors all three main Indian Gods: Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. The pictures will speak for themselves. All I have to comment on is how I will never believe how humans were able to make something so ornate and beautiful as the stone etchings on this temple.  Our guide told us a lot about Hinduism while visiting, and I probably had an awkward jaw open the entire time. It is all so fascinating to me. Truly.  Also, I am very excited to learn Kannada so I can read some of the historical language all around the city.

 Everything is so ornate and detailed.

Parvathi; once again, taking names
(oh yeah, she's my favorite!)

 I'm such a dorky tourist

We returned to the Hostel for lunch; I will probably put up many food pictures, because everything is so delicious.  Do I miss some of my plainer American choices? Yes, naturally. Have I found something vile or something I really don't like yet in India? Absolutely not. Everything tastes so wonderful. Also, the eating with your hands (here, they scoop food into their mouths using the pointer and middle fingers with aid from the thumb) may NEVER get old!
The fruits, like this Guava, are so sweet!

After lunch, we went to visit the Mysore Palace.  One of the very interesting parts about Mysore is the rich history it has between British imperialistic influence, and traditional Indian values and culture.  In Mysore, a prince still lives in their centrally located palace.  Today, we were able to go on a tour inside. It is beautiful! We weren't allowed to take any photos inside the palace, but imagine rich golds and turquoises covering tall pillars.  The decorations are from all over the world, and everything just looks so fancy and well made.  Add some beautifully colored women's Saris, and it just became too much.  Although it was incredible beautiful, being inside the palace made me realize just how many people there are in India.  I started getting very claustrophobic by the end because everyone was constantly being shoved in every which direction.  I truly have never been around that many people in my life. It was overwhelming, and I still get stared at. A lot. Not just looked at, but stared down. It makes me uncomfortable to be looked at by so many people at one time, but I will just have to get used to being such an obvious minority.


 Two of my favorite pictures of the day!
Both are of the outside/front areas of the Mysore Temple.

Today was a very long (and very touristy) day, but I enjoyed the sights nevertheless. Once again, India delivers so many combinations of emotion.  I was paranoid walking around the Palace. I was inspired at Somanathapur. I get excited by mealtimes. I get frustrated with the constant begging and staring. Everything is just so much to take in, and I am slowly learning how much quiet downtime will mean to me while I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment